Bonn (via Zoom), 12 November 2021
Cultural transfer to and from the Baltic Sea Region
The 10th Austmarr symposium - part 2
Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn, Germany, (via Zoom), 12 November 2021
- 10:15 CET (UTC+1) Zoom room opens
- 10:30 Welcome and introduction: Sabine Walther, Kathrin Chlench-Priber (University of Bonn)
- Elena Melnikova (Russian Academy of Sciences) Runic inscriptions of the Scandinavian diaspora in the Baltic lands
- Kendra Willson (University of Turku) Language contact reflected in runic inscriptions
- Jesse Barber (University of Helsinki) Óðinn and Väinämöinen: a comparison of the archetypal ritual specialist in the Nordics
- 12:30-13:30 lunch break
- Anneli Sundkvist (Societas Archaeologica Upsaliensis) The context of amulet rings: an overlooked type of artefact?
- Olle Möllervärn (Mid Sweden University) Bear transformation in Scandinavian folklore
- Frog (University of Helsinki) Migration period Christianity spreading through the North? Or, Is Old Norse mythology a creolized Christianity?
- 15:00-15:30 coffee/tea break
- Andris Šnē (University of Latvia) Grobiņa archaeological complex: a melting point of the Baltic and Scandinavian cultures in the Pre-Viking Age
- Adam Engvall (Uppsala University) The puzzling towers of Gotland - some thoughts regarding 12th century towers from Gotland
- Jhonny Therus (Kalmar County Museum/Linnaeus University) Small finds and large networks. Using beads and knife sheet fittings to trace networks in the 11th and 12th century Baltic and beyond
- 17:15 general discussion
- 18:00 wine hour
All are welcome to attend! To receive the link to the meeting, please register by writing to swalther at uni hyphen bonn dot de (if you have not already done so). The link will be sent to all registered participants shortly before the conference.
Download the program as .pdf here.
The original call for papers is found here.